Thursday, August 13, 2009

Roll Initiative

I mentioned that some of my opinions on the topic of randomly generating dungeon content would be colored by dungeons and dragons. Overall I'm a huge fan, even in the controversial 4e stuff.

I've been playing DnD for about fifteen years now, and I've been dungeon master for about ten of those. I call the shots, I make the rules, I design the dungeons and the stories that go with them. In the past four years, I've been with an online site called www.dndonlinegames.com. Working on a play-by-post style, it's easy to plan moves, react to players well and so on. You don't have to have the answers at the drop of a hat, you have to have them within a few hours. I can take the time to redesign the monsters coming up in the dungeon if the players are struggling with them.

It's always part of a DMs job to balance the game for a player so that they have a challenging time - but not too hard. It's the DMs job to make it so the dungeons feel like a real place the PCs are exploring (if that's what they want). The DM has a lot of responsibility in keeping the game flowing, and all games should follow this structure.

If the DM's no good at any one of those things, the game can fall flat on it's face. Let's hope I can fake a good DM in the background, hmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment