Friday, April 9, 2010

More Dungeons

So, I was talking about tinygame a while back, and it was pointed out to me that when I'm talking about procedural dungeons, I'm the one writing the specific, and in this case short, procedure. There aren't a infiite number of dungeons that can be generated, there are a finite () number of them, all in one specific style.

It's undoubtedly better than spagetti dungeons, but it's still not exactly what I want. Close, but no cigar as it were.

So, for now, I'm adding in another few types of dungeons as I work my way towards code that will generate a huge, sprawling dungeon. The first is a massive, single floor room. Not the best dungeon, and something that would have made sense to work on first, but it was easy enough to implement. One big room, boring. I'll probably remove this before I'm even done.

Next, I made a change to something that had been bothering me. Towers used the same random generation code a the rest of the dungeons. Which means that the first floor could be a tiny, 5x5 hut, and the second a massive 30x20 labarynth, suspended inexplicably off the ground. I've changed it, though it's still not perfect. The bottom floor generates normally, but as the floors increase, the tower remains a simple shape, and gets narrower and narrower.

Small progress, I know, but progress nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment